Maltese Marina


Oil on canvas 12x12 in.
The intriguing and unique experience of participating in Bill Guffey's Virtualpaintout is you "visit" places you most probably will not physically journey to in your lifetime.  This month is the island of Malta.  For a bit of time you immerse yourself in the streets, the views, lingering at times, questioning, comparing, enjoying...then one of the scenes speaks to you in a stronger voice and you have to paint it.
https://goo.gl/maps/TVdFYz3HtS2

                          “The object isn’t to make art, it’s to be in that wonderful state which makes art inevitable.”  Robert Henri

Comments

  1. This is really wonderful. The warm buildings make me think of San Diego. A city I love. Love the depth in your jewel toned water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sheila. I might have been channeling San Diego as I lived there for 17 years!

      Delete
  2. Nice shapes and interesting division of the canvas with all the busyness of the top against the serene bottom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carol. I did this for the virtualpaintout for the month of July, and the colors are a bit bright. I think I needed all that blue for my eyes to rest.

      Delete
  3. Hi Laurelle, I shared this painting to my Facebook page and got a bazillion likes! It's lovely, the colors are so fresh. How do you do that? I'm trying to be less fussy in my work. Maybe I need to live in San Diego, lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Sharon, thank you so much! It's actually Malta, although I did live in San Diego for a long period. I'm now in southern Spain...it's a long story.

      Delete
  4. Have to agree the jewel tones are wonderful, like the suggestion of reflections and water motion to balance the top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nelvia, for expressing that!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts